- Check traditions. Discard those that are no longer fun, and create new ones.
- Simplify your routine. Bake only one or two types of cookies instead of ten or twelve.
- Take time outs. Grab 15 to 30 minutes for yourself to revitalize and recharge when you find yourself getting weary.
- Prevent money problems -- don't create them. Give gifts of time and yourself, or pull names for gift exchanges. Enjoy activities that are free, such as driving around to look at holiday decorations; going window shopping without buying; making a snowperson with children.
- Exercise. Get outdoors, get fresh air, and work out the built-up stress. Phototherapy, a treatment involving a few hours of exposure to intense light, is effective in relieving depressive symptoms.
- Don't go overboard. Enjoy the special holiday foods that you only get at this time of year, but don't overdo it.